Where is dselect-install's error log?

I installed debian from linux central's 3CD set. The install went fine until
it started installing packages.
I used the simple selection method, and dselect picked up ~400 packages from
the CD's and began installing them. During the install there were a number of
failures due to missing prerequisites. At the end, it told me to get the
prerequisites and rerun the install.

Fine, except that I can't find the log to find out what's missing?

A second question: When I find out that I'm missing lib-xyz, how do I find
out what package it's in?