Re: Key words, please [was: Newbie comments & queries]Newbie #61

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 09:05:31AM +0200, Ian Balchin wrote:

| This last weekend it took over a minute to download even one email
| and I had to give up with over 400 waiting in the queue. I cannot
| read all of these messages en-masse and so filter out and delete
| anyhing other than those with my standard header.

Some people have mentioned 'mailfilter' recently.  It is a program
that can be used to download just the headers of a message and then
determine whether the message is junk or not.  If it is junk it can be
deleted from the (POP) server without spending the time to download
the body of the message.  It's main purpose is to reduce/eliminate
spam, but you could use it to cut down on how much mail from deb-user
you download.  (if it can be used with other tools (ie formail), maybe
you could use it to eliminate the duplicates such as those that were
flodding the list the last day or two)

http://mailfilter.sourceforge.net/

I checked on http://packages.debian.org and found that the package
exists in woody and sid, but not in potato.

| I thought that this was a reasonable solution. However, I have
| given the matter some thought and will see if a new header scheme
| will be more effective and useful to all.

I imagine that you can configure mailfilter to delete all messages
from debian-user except for the ones that match your subject (whatever
you make your header to be).  Just be sure to update the filter
if/when you change your subject :-).

-D

--

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our
sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.