Newbie comments & queries

Hi, Brenda at al.,

In the end with the aid of the loopback connector, the old dos standby
'Checkit' and some sweat, I got the microcom modem up and running for 2
out of 3 on an old multi i/o board dated 1991.

It runs in dos Bitcom
It runs in linux Minicom

Wvdial reports modem not responding.  wvdial.conf is fine as far as I can see.
It did run the other day but now it is broken.

I am running mutt (what does that stand for?) as suggested by Brenda.

I have run pppconfig as this is what negotiates the whole deal with my ISP
and because Brenda told me to, and because wvdial will use it (?)

I  have run eximconfig because this is what is going to SMTP my mail to my
ISP.  From the example.conf I have deduced that the part after the @ in my
email address is what is wanted and entered that for the answer to the first
question.  Now, when I want to send an email from address1@imaginet.co.za
(the address that this machine is going to pop from) to
address2@imaginet.co.za it cannot be delivered because (presumeably)
'unknown local part "address2" in domain "imaginet.co.za" ' is not on this
machine.  This will prevent me from sending any mail to anyone @imaginet.
Where have I gone wrong? HELP

I have run wvdial /etc/wvdial.conf because the book said "The default and
probably easiest dial-up client to use........."

I have configured up diald because
1. wvdial was problematic and ..
2. the 'dial on demand' made me think that it would probably integrate with

I see diald in top so it must be sitting there waiting to be run when called by
something.

How do I get the mail written in mutt to be sent? HELP
How do I pop the mail from imaginet?  When I use 'G' in mutt it gives the
message 'POP host is not defined' I see that mutt has an inbuilt pop feature,
but why install wvdial or diald if one is going to use that.

I have been going over the emails and Karsten said that I should install
fetchmail but fetchmailconf needs to be run from a graphical environment
according to the Bible, and this I do not have. I have only spotted this just
now and will look at it further this weekend. I thought that wvdial or diald by
running the ppp protocol would be doing this, but now it looks to me as if
ppp just lets the computer talk to my isp and that I need fetchmail to actually
get the mail.  My isp asks me to smtp and pop mail by using
imail.imaginet.co.za as the hosts (they have NT servers although are trying to
get one on FreeBSD up and running but if present problems are insuperable
wil look at Debian they say) and have already put this incorrectly as an answer
to one of the questions in the /diald/connect

Somehow with all this lot there has to be an internal arrangement whereby
the stored mail is sent and new mail fetched.

I will stick with POP3 rather than switch to IMAP at present although that
could be a good idea with email at home and the shop.  When people have
accounts @hotmail.com and the like, is that  IMAP (Pegasus has it, but do not
know if my ISP has).  I have a free email at a local server but Pegasus Mail has
'multipop' and collects from all my email addresses one after the other.

Have to go now, want to watch the late film.

Ian
    Ian Balchin
    Grahamstown, South Africa.