Re: Kernel source

Dave Sherohman wrote:

> How different (if at all) are the contents of the debian
> kernel-source packages from the tarballs on kernel.org, etc.?  Does
> debian do any patching or just distribute the official source
> unmodified?

For 2.4 kernels, Debian usually applies some additional patches, mostly
bugfixes that have been submitted to the kernel mailing list but which
haven't yet been incorporated into the official tree. There is a file in
the Debian package that describes the patches applied. I don't know if
Debian also modifies their 2.2 kernels; there's probably less of a need
to.

My preference is to use the kernel.org tarballs over vendor-modified
sources.

Craig