Re: Manager for software in /usr/local

On Thursday, 06. Dec. 2001 at 21:02:09, George Karaolides wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Alan Shutko wrote:

> > > I recall recently someone on this list mentioning a software, maybe a
> > > Debian package, that manages installation of software under the /usr/local
> > > hierarchy.
> >
> > stow, maybe?
>
> Yes, that's the one, thanks!

Hello George,

I also use stow for my software in /usr/local. But you can also try
checkinstall. It is very simple to use it. Instead of "make install"
you must call "checkinstall make install" and the program watches the
whole installationsprozedur with "installwatch". The advantage is,
that it makes from the files you have installed a rpm-, slackware- or
a debian *dummy* package, so your packagemanager is satisfied and you
can also deinstall it cleanly. I didn't find a deb from this program,
but at freshmeat.net you can get it. Until now, I didn't have the time
to test this package, but it's on my todo-list.

CU Michael

--
Registred Linux-User: 183712
GnuPG Key: B3F038DC