lilo version problems (package system)

Hello all,
	I'm a newbee on this list and look forward to making Debian my fav
distro (boo his at me now, but problems like this have been a pain in the
side.  I'm attempting to solve them now instead of just going with what
had worked before.  (hurray....)

OK, Problem

Have a machine that needs a current (aka version at least up to par with
woody) version of lilo.

The machine needs to be able to add the "table" option in order to boot
from the hard disk.

Lilo.conf file clip
<start clip>

image=/dev/hda1
	label=other
	table=/dev/hda

</start clip>

When I run this lilo.conf file w/ potato I get a syntax error at the
table line.  When I run it with a woody box it's just fine.

How would I go about upgrading the packages?  I already downloaded the new
package, but dpkg -i <new package file name> popped out dependancy errors
with man pages and the old lilo installed.

I removed the old lilo but I still get errors.  I don't think I can have
both worlds for man pages, but then again, I care less about the man
pages, I just want the darned box to boot!

Thanks for your time,
Brian
brian@byteharmony.com