Re: Annoying Mozilla behavior

Paul Mackinney <paul@mackinney.net> writes:

> The following is off-topic for this thread, but I have no idea
> if it's a debian, windowmaker, java, or mozilla issue; any comments
> about the following 2 issues would be greatly appreciated. If this is
> too off-topic for this list, please suggest a better one.

For mozilla bugs, you might try asking on netscape.public.mozilla.*
(replace * with the group that looks most appropriate) and/or searching
bugzilla.mozilla.org to see if it's a known problem.

> When I run a Java virtual machine (e.g., play chess on www.pogo.com,)
> My fonts are messed up. Small fonts are widely spaced, the lineheight
> is too tall for the chars. Large fonts have the same problem, and
> are also typically cut off so that the chars are pushed down in the
> field and only the top half is displayed. Fonts in regular browser
> windows work just fine. I'm running the latest java 1.4.0-beta,
> can't remember if I got it from Blackdown or Sun.

This may have to do with your X fonts. If you're using X4 and not xfs,
try placing your 75dpi fontpath before the path for 100dpi fonts, then
restart X. At low resolutions, using 100dpi fonts can look pretty ugly
(at least that's my experience). Not sure how you'd do the above if
you're running xfs... short of uninstalling 100dpi fonts, of course.
If that doesn't work, you might try searching the bug databases for
mozilla and/or the jre you're using to see if it's a known problem.

> The other problem is with modal floating windows that appear on
> top of the main window. These open minimized with just a teeny
> little nub I can right click to get the attributes menu. The
> first time I maximize one of these it works properly, after that
> maximizing just moves the little nub to the top-left corner of the
> screen, I have to relaunch Mozilla to make them work again.

What version/build are you running? I think this is a mozilla bug which
appears on occasion and gets fixed fairly rapidly. I suggest trying a
newer version. If you still see the problem, it may be appropriate to
file a bug at bugzilla.mozilla.org (or possibly bugs.debian.org if
you're using a debian package).

HTH