Re: Cannot forward into files

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 03:00:32PM +0100, Steffan Baron wrote:

| Hi there,
|
| I'm encountering a strange problem in the interaction of a Solaris
| mail server and a file server running potato. Usually, my users can
| forward their mail into a local file  by specifying its path in their
| .forward. However, this doesn't work if the user home is stored on the
| Linux file server. Although the user homes are exported with root
| permissions,  mails don't get written into the specified
| file. Instead, they're still queued (even after 14 days, and even
| stranger, with no error message at all).
|
| Does anybody know what the problem might be? Any help would be greatly
| appreciated.

If you log on to the Solaris machine, can you write to the intended
file?  (ie 'echo hello world > <file>')

Where is the MTA running?  On the Solaris box?  As long as the Solaris
system has the proper access to the fs there should be no problems.

Hmm, does the "mail" user (or whatever the MTA runs as) have the same
UID/GID on both systems?  This is a must for NFS sharing.

-D

--

For society, it's probably a good thing that engineers value function
over appearance.  For example, you wouldn't want engineers to build