Re: MX Records ?

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 06:49:12PM +0530, shyamk@eth.net wrote:
| I normally use Linux to receive mails  , not to send any .
| And I use PINE/fetchmail on my Linux box.
|   What I have done is I created a login (shyamk@localhost) of the same name as my
| account at my ISP(shyamk@eth.net)  , then configured
| .fetchmailrc and PINE for this login.
|   It fetches the mail properly.
| But , when I try to send mails I get some errors ,
| (indicated below my mail) , and also some advice -
| kind of message :
| "Your _____ does not do resolution of email addresses.
| Add MX records _____"
|
| I do nor remember the full thing .
|
| My doubts are :
| 1) Does the whole thing mean that I have to add some "MX" records
| to my /etc/resolv.conf ?

no

| 2)What is  MX ?

Mail handler.  It is a type of DNS record.  There are "A" records and
"MX" records (and others I am sure).  It allows you to have a domain
name that has a certain IP for handling general requests (ping, http,
ssh, etc) and a different one for handling mail (SMTP).

| 3) How do I add these records and where ?

What you need to do is set your outgoing address to be the one from
your ISP.  When you are sending mail, pine hands of responsibility to
exim (via a pipe), right?  exim then tries to transfer (via SMTP) to
the host it is configured to send to.  Try adding your local username
(doesn't have to match your ISP, btw) and your ISP-given email address
to /etc/email-addresses.

| -------------ERRORS I GET UPON THE MAIL I HAD SENT ---------------------

(oh, I didn't notice this before I started writing above)

| --fB6C1Rk01373.1007640144/localhost.localdomain
|
| Reporting-MTA: dns; localhost.localdomain
| Arrival-Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 08:52:44 +0530
|
| Final-Recipient: RFC822; linux-india-help@lists.sourceforge.net
| Action: failed
| Remote-MTA: DNS; mail.sourceforge.net
| Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 cannot route to sender address
| <shyamk@localhost.localdomain>
| Last-Attempt-Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 17:32:23 +0530
|
| --fB6C1Rk01373.1007640144/localhost.localdomain

| From: shyamk

Yeah, you are reporting yourself as "shyamk@localhost" (note the
 Return-Path:, Received:, and Diagnostic-Code: lines) but the MTA on
the other machine rejects that because it is not a real address (that
it can route messages to).  It thinks you are a spammer spoofing your
return address.  Adding the line to /etc/email-addresses will rewrite
your information (I think just the envelope-sender part, not the From:
header) so that your "real" (publicly visible) address is given.

Also, in pine be sure and add your domain to the From: header!  If you
do this, you may not need to edit /etc/email-addresses, or if you do
edit that file you may not need to correct pine's setting.

HTH,
-D

--

A)bort, R)etry, B)ang it with a large hammer