Re: chess program recommendations?

Karsten M. Self wrote:

on Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 09:05:52PM -0800, Kurt Lieber (debian@kirpatrick.com) wrote:

I'm looking for a good chess program for Debian. I've done apt-cache search chess, so I know the options out there. I'm looking for recommendations from people that have played some/all of them.

Something that has a reasonably intelligent AI so I can play the computer. Also, I'd prefer a GUI-based program so I don't have to worry about knight 6, king 8 and all that stuff. And, though this may be far-fetched, a program that supported 2-person games over the internet would be ideal.
Any recommendations?

gnuchess & xboard.

didn't work for me.  Configuration was hosed.
uninstalled it out of frustration.

Couldn't set it to play against the computer or network play.