Adaptec RAID 2100s new install of Debian - please help!

I'm installing Debian from CD-ROM (2.2).

The hard disk is a RAID array (Adaptec 2100s).  I've the driver for it
from adaptec for kernel 2.2.19 (and the CD-ROM has 2.2.18pre21 kernel
but the driver seems okay?).

During a clean install I need to load the driver from floppy right
after the keyboard config (the driver is dpt_i2o.o). I can then
partition and initialise the hard disk.  This works just fine.

But what now??????

I end up being asked to create a boot floppy (it skips asking me to
install on the MBR with lilo for some reason).  I create the boot
floppy and reboot but end up with a kernel panic (with mention of
block-major-8 and unable to mount root fs)

No doubt this is because it can not find any hard disks because the
driver (dpt_i2o) is not available - it's still on it's original floppy
:-)

What is the process from here to get this driver somehow on the boot
floppy so I can reboot the machine?

Another attempt tried copying the driver to the right place:
          Clean install
          Load dpt_i2o.o from floppy early in install
          Partition and initialise hard disk
          Install drivers and base from CD-ROM
          In a console window
                  Copy dpt_i2o.o to /lib/modules/2.2.18pre21/scsi/
                  Do depmod -a
          Back to the install
          Create a boot floppy
          Reboot

The initial part of the reboot goes extremely slow.  This is the part
where it prints Loading Linux.......  This takes a minute or more per
dot!

Eventually VFS Kernel Panic.  Cant mount root fs.  There's also a
message about block-major-8.

Thanks,
Graham