Re: Fwd: beta software in debian releases?

On Wednesday 05 December 2001 09:51 am, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> Possibly, if the bugs are deemed important enough (i.e. release
> critical).

One would hope that's the case with PHP.

> Plenty of pre-release software has made it in to stable Debian releases.
> Just look at mozilla in potato (m18) or GNOME in slink (version 0.30).

But in both of those circumstances, there wasn't a previous, stable release
version that they could have chosen instead.  With PHP, there is.

Again, I"m not familiar with the freeze process at all -- if it's possible to
get the final version of PHP 4.1.0 even after woody has been frozen, then I'm
all for it.  However, if Woody gets released with a beta version of PHP, then
I'd question that decision.

Are there any sort of guidelines or documents for this?  I'm sure most of my
trepidation is simply due to a lack of understanding about the freeze process.