Re: Patititioning hard drive

* Cheryl Homiak (chomiak@chartermi.net) spake thusly:
> My new hard drive is a 20gg drive as opposed to my old 2.5gg. I have read
> all the information about partitioning. I have decided to make linux the
> only OS on this hard drive. Can somebody who has experience with this size
> drive tell me if there is major advantage to breaking up the hard drive
> into smaller partitions.

There is a mini-howto about that, too. It's called Partition Howto
and is available at a linuxdoc mirror near you.

On a home box with only a couple of users and no permanent net
connection, I use three partitions: /boot, swap and /. On the
servers at work I usually make separate /var, and some others,
depending on the setup (e.g. separate /home if there are users,
/opt and/or /usr/local on solaris; /usr/share if I want to share
it between several boxen.) On a firewall/gateway, I'd make a
separate /var and /tmp, so they can be mounted read-write while
the rest is mounted ro. And so on.

Dima
--
Surely there is a polite way to say FOAD.                        -- Shmuel Metz
"Go forth and multiply".                                         -- Paul Martin