Re: CUPS

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 12:59:33AM +0100, Jens Luedicke wrote:
| hi ...
|
| CUPS doesn't print german umlauts. Is there a way
| to solve this? (either true umlauts or valid replacements)

What does it do then?  THe only potential problem I can think of is if
you are taking a file in iso-8859-2 encoding (or whatever) and trying
to spit it out of your printer as a "plain text" file.  I don't think
CUPS would care what bytes were in the data, but if your printer
doesn't support the encoding, there is nothing you can do about it.
If you want anything fancy, convert the data to postscript and then
print it.

| Furthermore, how can I set wider margins when printing
| text-only using the CUPS lpr?

I doubt it.  CUPS doesn't do anything special when you print plain
text, it just sends it out the port.  I expect you to get 80
characters per line, if the text has no linebreaks before 80
characters.  Is this what you have?

-D

--

He who finds a wife finds what is good