Re: transfering linux system to another hard drive

Janina Sajka <janina@afb.net> writes:

> You should not think in terms of transferring your linux. The linux
> operating system itself should be reinstalled.

That's plainly not true! Why re-doing everything that was already
accomplished? There are several ways to do this, I already mailed this
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/index.html
HowTo to Cheryl.

> Your data and configuration files, on the other hand, should be
> transferred. The best mechanism is likely some kind of temporary storage
> device, and an upload to someplace willing to accept the size of files
> involved is probably a second choice, though likely untennable at modem
> speeds. But you're on cable, right?

Bah! This is a massive waste of time. It's much faster if you'd do it
as described in the above mentioned HowTo.

Put both HDs in the system and copy -a them all, except certain
ones. It's all covered in the HowTo!

--
Tschoe,                http://gecius.de/gpg-key.txt - Fingerprint:
 Jens                  1AAB 67A2 1068 77CA 6B0A  41A4 18D4 A89B 28D0 F097