X11: could not open default font 'fixed'

I am trying to install X11 on a machine in preparation to show linux to
other users.  At the moment I am stuck with the error message in the
subject-line on Woody.

I do not find "fixed" in XF86Config-4 and commenting it out in
/etc/X11/XftConfig did not help.

I hope somebody can help.

Regards.

Johann.
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth.
      Therefore despise thou not the chastening of the
      Almighty."         Job 5:17