Re: Fw: 2 ?

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 03:25:18PM +0800, a wrote:

[reformatted to have replies below the text they're replying to]

> From: "dman" <dsh8290@rit.edu>
> > On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 11:48:54AM +0800, a wrote:
> > | i can play real media as root but can't play it as a usual user.
> > | how to assign access to other users?
> >
> > Is there an error message?  Such as "/dev/dsp : permission denied"?
>
>  yes it said: permission denied

Add yourself to the audio group ('adduser yourusername audio'), then log
out and back in.

> > | in Redhat, man pages can be scrolled back. how to do it in Debian 2.1
> >
> > This is a feature (or lack thereof) of your pager.  I recommend using
> > 'update-alternatives --config pager' to make "less" the system's
> > default pager.  Alternatively you can just set PAGER=less in your
> > ~/.bashrc.
>
>  I add PAGER=less to .bashrc but it does not help

You need to 'export PAGER' as well to turn that from a shell variable
into a real environment variable. The two commands can be abbreviated to
'export PAGER=less'.

Personally I'd just use the first solution dman proposed, though
('update-alternatives --config pager').