Re: configuring gnome in woody

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 05:10:24PM -0700, Robinder Bains wrote:
| Hi,
|
|  I get this message when I login to gnome.
|
|                      Desk Guide Alert
|                   Gnome Desktop Guide (Pager)
|
|                   You are not running a GNOME
|                    Compliant Window Manager...
|
|  after a few clicks my mouse stops working,  I don't know if that's because
| I don't have a
| compliant window manager.
|
|  How do I install a gnome compliant window manager in woody?

First you decide on compliant wms to try.  I recommend sawfish.  Then
apt-get install it.  Then in the gnome-control panel click on the
"window manager" tree item and choose your window manager.  If it
isn't listed in the list, add it.

If you can't even use the control panel (because your mouse stops
working, as you said above) then log in to a console and put
    sawfish &
    gnome-session
in your .xsession file and run 'startx'.  This will give you sawfish
and gnome so that you can tell gnome you want to use sawfish all the
time.  (then you don't really need the .xsession file anymore)

-D

--

Microsoft: "Windows NT 4.0 now has the same user-interface as Windows 95"
    Windows 95: "Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot"