Problem with kernel modules aliasing. Maybe.

Hi all.

Perhaps not a debian question, but I have a sneaky feeling it's to do with what's a module, what's not, and where I set up the aliases for the modules - so I'm not *entirely* OT for the list ... :-)

After rolling my own kernel (vanilla 2.2.20), an "ifup eth0" locks the box solid - no magic SysRq, no CtrlAltDel, nothing works 'cept a reset.

"strace ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2" gives me a bundle of

access("/proc/sys/net/blah", R_OK) = -1

lines, ending in
access("/proc/sys/net/ash", R_OK) = -1

Everything it tries to access gives a -1.

Then the following three lines:

ioctl(4, SIOCSIFADDR, 0xbffffa5c) = 0
ioctl(4, SIOCGIFFLAGS, 0xbffff9ac) = 0
ioctl(4, SIOCGIFFLAGS

and that's where it stops dead, cursor flashing the column after the second "FFLAGS".

Things that I'd done include stripping down the stock 2.2.18pre17(?) config for 2.2.20, removing all PCI quirk, buggy RZ1000 (haven't got one, I think ..) type entries.
Also, and this is why I think it's to do with the module aliases/declaration/whatever, I've tried changing RealTek 8139 drivers from rtl8139 to 8139too, simulatneously moving from a module to in-kernel driver.

So, basically what I'm saying is: does this ring any bells with anyone?
Any suggestions?

I've tried moving the 8139 driver to a module, but things are still a bit fsck'd.

All help gratefully paid for.  Next month.  Really.  The cheque'll be in the post. Honest.

jc