Re: system hang while using Gimp aggressively

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001 08:44:54 -0500, Paul Reavis <preavis@partnersoft.com> wrote:

> I was working on some large (600dpi) images with lots of layers in the
> Gimp, and had bumped up its image cache to 256MB to reduce
> swapping. In the middle of a large copy, it froze x and, as far as I
> could tell, the whole machine - it responded to pings but not
> telnet. I left it overnight and came back the next day; it was still
> hung. So I had to hard reset the machine, yuck.

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace didn't work? (or do you have that turned off?).  I
found that the OOM killer in 2.4.14 works... Was running a process
that sucked up huge amounts of memory, and boom "Killed" was printed
in the terminal.  Subsequent attempts to run the program returned
immediately with "out of memory errors", even though the system
had reclaimed the memory (guess the kernel tracks these errant
programs for a little while...).

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>