matrox g200 and snes9x

i use woody - my video card is matrox mill g200 agp 8m
xfree 4.1 works well though from time to time it crashes
but my problem is that snes9x doesn't work as well as in windows: backgrounds do not slide as smoothly as in win.
i wonder if that could be due to my card not being utilized at its best:
as a matter of fact in xfree log i find the following errors/warnings
(EE) MGA: Failed to load module "mga_hal" (module does not exist, 0)
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module mga_hal
(WW) MGA(0): Failed to set up write-combining range (0xe7000000,0x1000000)

should i download the mga modules from matrox site?
if yes what is the procedure for having them used from my existing xfree configuration?

thanks
aldo