Re: Alcatel SpeedTouch USB Modem Setup...

--- Ben Hill <ben@javacoder.net> (2001-12-03 13:49):
> As a few of you will know ;), I have been trying to set up my Alcatel
> SpeedTouch USB modem for about 2 weeks now and I must be getting close! :)
>
> I have the usb hotplugging working, the speedmgmt stuff working etc. The
> problem is that I still can't connect to the internet. The process is that I
> do a lsmod and make sure that the speedtouch module and the usb-uhci modules
> are there, then I plug the USB modem in. After that do a ps-ef | grep mgmt
> to see if the speedmgmt driver is running, it is.
>
> Then when I have watched the modem light sync in the right order, I run
> "pppd" manually. The output is something like:
>
> pppd[1234]: PPPoATM plugin_init
> pppd[1234]: PPPoATM setdevname_pppoatm
> pppd[1234]: PPPoATM setdevname_pppoatm - SUCCESS
>
> ...then nothing else. As you can see the line:
>
> Dec 3 13:29:30 kungfoo kernel: PPP generic driver version 2.4.1
>
> ...is in the /var/log/messages file.
>
> I have included the /var/log/messages section all pertaining to a reboot and
> then plugging in the modem and running pppd.

I'd advise you use the excellent open source drivers made by Benoit
Pappillault, instead of the closed source and frustratingly difficult to
install Alcatel drivers :)

Have a look here for all the info:
http://benoit.papillault.free.fr/speedtouch/index.en.php3

I used the Alcatel drivers for the first month or so of them coming out,
and although I got everything working in Debian, all the documentation
was Redhat specific, and a lot of the utilities (like the patched ppp
2.4) were only available as rpms or converted to debs which didn't
work...

Anyway, once the opensource drivers came out and I gave them a go, I was
surprised at how easy it was to set everything up... I'd seriously
advise you to give them a go... there's a small patch to the n_hdlc code
in the kernel, and apart from that, there's no patching of software or
kernel.

But assuming you want to continue with the Alcatel drivers, could you
post the lines from your /var/log/syslog pertaining to the ppp
connection?

Have you also tried running "ifconfig" once the ppp has completed, it
may be that the connection is up and running already :)

Cheers,
Sean

--
Sean Quinlan (smq@gmx.co.uk)