Re: OT: free cmd is lying to me

At 1007390900s since epoch (12/03/01 03:48:20 -0500 UTC), Holger Rauch wrote:
> > only 222,688 K are being used by actual processes on the system.
>
> Ok. But where do the 600 MB of main memory that Oracle uses fit in
> there? Are they reported as cached memory?

I'm not certain, but I would guess that Oracle does not actually
allocate 600MB of memory for itself on startup, but rather waits until
it needs it.

On my machine, which has been up for a while, free looks like this:

Mem:        514216     490676      23540          0       6132     178940
-/+ buffers/cache:     305604     208612
Swap:       248996        636     248360

I've got 300MB of memory "in use" by real processes.  This is mostly
apache and servlet stuff.  When I first start up my machine, however,
I'm only using about 160MB.  It's only after the processes start to
handle requests and use memory that it gets reported.

> > Search this list archive for other e-mails on the free command; [...]
>
> I tried to find a search engine at the Debian site. Is there any?

There is a search front-end to all the Debian listservers at:

http://lists.debian.org/search.html

Free is a little tricky to understand, since it makes it look like
all your memory is being used all the time.  In reality, this is good,
because you'd rather your machine be using all the memory rather than
let it sit idle.

Jason

--
Jason Healy    |    jhealy@logn.net    |   http://www.logn.net/