Re: Installing potato and pcmcia on a laptop

<quote who="Dougie Nisbet">

> This could be where I've been going wrong. Whenever I rebuild the
> kernel, and  at the stage where I run dpkg, I get the warning about
> there being an  existing /lib/modules/2.2.19pre17 directory.
> Normally I move this out of the  way before running dpkg, and it
> gets recreated by dpkg. However, the pcmcia  stuff doesn't get
> recreated. When  you rebuild the kernel, what do you do at  this
> point? Do you leave the existing /lib/modules/2.xxxx directory in
> place?

this is not the debian way(tm) but this is what i do:
(for a 2.2.19 kernel)
mv /lib/modules/2.2.19 /lib/modules/2.2.19.old
make kernel & install kernel
reboot with new kernel
make & install pcmcia stuff
reboot again to be sure it all comes up ..

i compile pcmcia stuff after i reboot incase it tries to
detect what kernel im running and try to build with that
as opposed to the kernel that i have built in /usr/src already