Re: Secure Auth server?

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 05:58:48PM -0800, nate wrote:
> <quote who="">
>
> > prepared to open up port 113 if I could guarantee that the program
> > would not give my real user id and there is no way that it could be
> > compromised.
>
> i don't think theres anybody who could give a network daemon
> a complete vote of confidence and say it cannot be compromised.
> most of the identd servers with debian have no known problems,
> but that doesn't mean they are no unknown ones.  if you don't
> NEED identd then don't run it. i use it on some systems
> for irc, but on the vast majority of my servers i do not
> have it installed. identd is not needed for email. my main
> mail servers do not have it. and they are behind firewalls
> that don't allow it through even if they did.
>
> maybe if i had the time to look at my firewall logs i would
> have them logged. i don't care if people hit ports that
> are blocked or are not running.

Yeah, that was what the conclusion I came to also last time I looked at
this issue.  This is why I have not been running an identd server at
all.  I guess that if I hate the logs then I should just add an iptables
rule to REJECT the requests rather than DROP and LOG them.

Thanks for the info.  I think I will be glad to do the same as you and
continue to not run an identd server.

Cheers.
Mark.