Re: Installing potato and pcmcia on a laptop

<quote who="Dougie Nisbet">

> Q) My CD set is 2.2 r3, with kernel 2.2.19pre17.
> What is the difference between kernel 2.2.19pre17 and 2.2.19?

pre17 is older then 2.2.19. it is a pre release of 2.2.19.
i would strongly reccomend, if your compiling your own
kernel to go with 2.2.19. not that theres any real problem
with the prelease ...if needed though it will probably
be easier to patch the final release then the pre release.

> Q) Which kernel is best to install on a laptop?
> Is it the -compact one that I see when I browse dselect?

on my ibm thinkpads(iSeries and T20) i use the standard
debian kernel, then build my own from sources. i also
install pcmcia from source, and alsa from source. then
i usually install the alsa utils and pcmcia utils from
packages and overwrite the existing files. but the drivers
in /lib/modules remain intact.

> However, when I try installing the kernel, I hit problems. I
> realise that I have some sort of version conflict,  but I don't
> know how to untangle the muddle I've got myself into. I've tried
> using dpkg individually on each .deb, but they still fail. I
> thought it I could install the kernel first, then install the
> pcmcia-modules after, it would  be ok. But no joy.

not really sure how to solve this ..haven't encountered it
myself as i haven't tried this route with my laptops ...

nate