Re: Games - A question

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 05:07:28PM +0000, Keith O'Connell wrote:
> Assuming we are against non-free software and would not contaminate or
> machines with closed-source code, what is the panels view on games?

I personally own a few loki games (heavy gear, heretic, unreal, etc).  I
enjoy them very much, although if I would never buy them from the company
that made them (e.g. I love loki, so I buy there games).  In my opinion,
closed-source is always wrong, regardless of app-type... (i just need more
conviction ;)

> I was talking to a friend about the Alpha Centari port by Loki, it is
> for payment binary only as I understand it. Is this an anathema because
> there is no source code? Could it be that it is sensible because a game
> is an end in itself, unlike an editor, compiler or browser which are
> tools that it is reasonable to want to modify?

There's been lots of situations when I've modified open-source games to add
features (e.g. joystick), or fixed an annoying bug.  I don't see why it's
not sensible to modify (unless you're speaking of general storyline or player
abilities, but I don't think you *shouldn't* be able to modify these, I just
think it would be lame if you did)

> If the source code is there then in a multiplier game, how can you be
> sure that your opponent has not tilted his client to enhance his game
> play?

People develop mods to do this even on closed-source games.  I was reading
a thing about freeciv's multiplayer where they said that the key to stop this
was by having the server do critical computations.

Cameron Matheson