Exim is not delivering mail

Hello,
currently I cannot get exim to deliver mail. I have it configured to use a smarthost which is my mail server but I get the error "R=smarthost defer (-37): host lookup for 192.9.200.1 did not complete (DNS timeout?)" when trying to send any mail. After I comment out bydns_a from the line route_list = "* 192.9.200.1 bydns_a" (in exim.conf) I get the error "routing defer (-42): retry time not reached". And also, while trying to send to my domain I get the error "unknown local-part "username" in domain "peerlessmfg.com" which seems to suggest that it is trying to deliver locally instead of to the smarthost. I have tried several different configurations but with no luck. Currently the exim.conf file is the default setup for internet mail using smarthost (option 2 in eximconfig).

Thanks in advance,
sean