Re: Making a debian package

On 29-Nov-2001 Chapman, Matt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have found one web page that talks about making a debian package but
> wondered due to its date if there are any suggestions.
>
> I am looking for the easiest way to make debs , I have some programs that
> are on sourceforge and would like to make a sparc and intel deb for them...
> Maybe even post them to www.debian.org for submission to the package list.
>
> -matt

I presume these items are not already in Debian.

Making a package can either be really easy or a substantial effort.  It really
depends on what the outcome is.

Easy:
single (or a couple related) binaries in one package from a source which uses
autoconf (./configure)

Medium:
multiple packages with binaries

Hard:
binary + library package, any mix of the above, lack of autoconf combined with
a poorly thought out upstream.

There are some nice packages in Debian which have packaging info, just look
thought the documentation list.  I strongly recommend reading the docs and
using dh_make as well.