Re: qmail/exim

Colin Watson wrote:

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 04:37:19PM -0500, Tom Allison wrote:

I know that the default installation is to use exim.
But I would like to use qmail in it's place on at least one server.

My question is this:
Are the dependencies for various email needing packages going to be able to understand that I'm using qmail instead of exim and still meet the requirements for an email server? Or am I going to embark on a dependency struggle from now on?

Pretty much everything that depends on exim accepts mail-transport-agent
as an alternative, unless it has very specialized requirements. If it
doesn't, it's a bug. Since the qmail packages built from qmail-src
provide mail-transport-agent, you should be OK.

mail-transport-agent -- this is not a dummy package is it?  What is this?
I could not find it.