Re: KDE Two questions

>1.	Is kdebase the main symbol for starting an apt-get install of kde, or

>if not what is it?

kdebase gives you only the libraries needed to run KDE applications, plus
the panel and the window manager (and perhaps a few other very basic things)
so you can start "a desktop".

If you want applications like konqueror, kmail, konsole, games, system administration,
etc., you must install these explicitely.

>2.	Is there a painless place to get ahold of this jdk-118 thingy?  I try

>the internet address given, and it puts me somewhere which is
>bewildering, and I haven't found the download page yet.

Do you mean a java development kit (jdk) or a java runtime environment (jre)?

The jre is needed to make for instance konqueror run java applets off the
net.
You can find a gratis apt-getable jre at www.blackdown.com

Cheers :o)

Johnny :o)