Problem with Quake 3 Arena! Linux IP masq to blame! Please help!

I seem to be having some difficulties with Quake 3 Arena and Linux IP
masquerading.  First, the technical details.  My Internet connection is a
Verizon PPPoE ADSL connection.  The IP masquerading box is a home built
100Mhz AMD K5 machine with 64MB of memory.  It is running Debian "woody"
using a stock 2.2.17 kernel.  I am using v3.0 of Roaring Penguin's PPPoE
client.  The only PPPoE option I am using that I think is relevant to this
discussion is that I have "TCP maximum segment size clamping" enabled (the
-m option to `pppoe') and it is set to "1412".  And I do have the
"ip_masq_quake.o module" loaded.

The box that I am playing Quake 3 Arena on is a Windows XP machine.  The
problem that I am experiencing is that I frequently get the "disconnected"
icon during game play.  It increases in frequency whenever I am in a room
with a lot of other players, however it doesn't come on at all if I am by
myself on the server.  I am fairly certain the problem is with the IP
masquerading box because when I hook up the WinXP machine directly to the
DSL modem and use WinXP's builtin PPPoE client, I don't get the disconnected
icon at all!

Does anybody have any clues as to what could be the problem here?  What
settings on the IP masq box should I investigate?  I am suspecting the "TCP
mss clamping" might have something to do with it.  Am I right to suspect
that?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

- Arcadio