Re: pppd Doing Nothing!

Ben Hill wrote:
> I installed ppp via the debian package and when I ran it it griped about
> the kernel not having support for it, although I did build the kernel
> with ppp in it!

Pppd sometimes produces this misleading message when the actual problem has
to do with permissions.  It's a know bug.  What, _exactly_ did you do?

> This was part of the HOWTO setup for my Alcatel SpeedTouch USB modem

Where did you get that HOWTO?

> I have tried pppconfig, but to no avail!

_Exactly_ what did you do, and _exactly_ what happened?  Be verbose, and
post copies of /etc/chatscripts/provider, /etc/ppp/peers/provider, and the
output of the 'plog' command.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)