Re: pppd Doing Nothing!

Ben Hill wrote:

Firstly I build and compiled the kernel with ppp support and booted
it. I then set up PPP from the tarball, then:

/configure
make
make install

I installed ppp via the debian package and when I ran it it griped about the
kernel not having support for it, although I did build the kernel with ppp
in it!

I have tried pppconfig, but to no avail!

Ben

I'm thinking you don't actually have ppp configured properly in the kernel. You don't say what kernel version you have, but in looking at the options in "make menuconfig" for kernel 2.4.10, in the Network Device Support area, I needed to Y/M the following:
	PPP (point-to-point protocol support)
	PPP support for async serial ports (this is for normal modems, not DSL, etc)

But you mention that your modem is a USB device, and I've never played with those, so I can't really give you any direction, except to repeat once again that I don't think you've got the kernel quite right yet.

Kent