Re: Non-interactive password check

* This one time, at band camp, Nick Hastings said:

> Hi,
>
> * Alexander Steinert <stony8@gmx.de> [011128 18:36]:
> >
> > Do you know any way to make ssh less interactive?
> >

> Look at the man pages for ssh-agent and ssh-add.

ssh-agent/add will not accomplish what the Alexander was after though,
because they use keys - and you still have to put the passphrase in for
the key (or have a key that is phraseless which defeats the intended
security purpose in this instance)

I would suggest looking into PAM or SASL both of which can be used to
authenticate users.  Other possible solutions depending on the scale of
the application are htpasswd, LDAP or a custom authentication system.

I would certainly NOT recommend the use of a script to ssh into a remote
box in order to test the users password.

HTH

Greeno
--
Greeno <tgreen@bandcamp.tv>
GnuPG Key :  1024D/B5657C8B

Imagine working in a secure environment and finding the string
_NSAKEY in the OS binaries without a good explanation
    -Alan Cox 04/05/2001