Re: Seeking clarification about mail program interaction

cmasters <cmasters@despamnbnet.nb.ca> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> Now that I have my printer running properly, I'm trying to tackle the
> problem of mail delivery. I've installed fetchmail, procmail, and exim, but
> I have yet to make them interact properly. For the moment I am using
> ~getmail~ (a fetchmail replacement) to poll my ISP and deliver my mail in a
> timely manner. I then read it from mutt and can send (obviously).
>
> I'd like to be able to use the benefits of procmail though, so I thought I'd
> get some clarification on the actual process involved. This is what I
> understand would happen:
>
> 1. fetchmail (currently getmail) retrieves mail from ISP and hold it locally

Correction: fetchmail/getmail pipe the mail to your MDA.

> 2. procmail ~should~ then sort it according to recipes that I write
> 3. mutt reads the mail from any and ~all~ folders / mbox's that have been
> effected by the sorting
>
> My difficulty is that the few times I have tested fetchmail, it retrieves
> and then deletes ~all~ mail not expressly addressed to
> "cmasters@nbnet.nb.ca". This means that mail from lists (including this one)
> is dropped before I am able to read it. It doesn't remain on my ISP's
> server, it just get dropped. I had thought that directing fetchmail to refer
> to procmail (ala the mda command) that sorting (~any~ pre-read deletion)
> would be done through procmail.

I doubt your mail is getting deleted.  More likely, it's just not
getting delivered because your MDA can't figure out where to deliver
it.  Check your exim queue with "exim -bp".

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>
BigNachos@jabber.org