Re: Finding missing packages

On 2001.11.28 01:53 Colin Watson wrote:
On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 11:51:49PM +0000, Pollywog wrote:

Why would using dselect cause problems like that? If anything, it tends
to create a more functional system, since it installs recommended
packages and tells you about suggested packages, neither of which
apt-get does.

As a newbie, I often had trouble getting dselect to install the proper packages. It complained about dependencies and I could not figure out how to get it working. As soon as I installed apt, I could just ask for a package and apt would install all the needed packages, though it did not tell me about additional suggested packages. APT was just easier to use, for me.

dselect takes time to understand, at least it did for me.

--
Andrew