Re: Finding missing packages

"jennyw" <jennyw@dangerousideas.com> writes:

> I've recenlty posted some upgrade woes (Potato to Woody) ... I've noticed
> that I have quite a few packages missing that I expected to be present. I
> seem to have limited fonts in X for one thing (no sans serif, for example).

make sure you haven't run into the recent bug with fonts.alias files
going missing all of a sudden (happened for misc fonts for me a couple
other people recently).
To fix this, run apt-get --reinstall install xfonts-base
then restart X, if running.

> The Gnome Control Panel was missing. A few other things, too ...
>
> Is there a way to grab all this stuff at once?  Like install everything for
> Gnome and X that the initial installer would install without blowing away
> the existing config?

try running tasksel, there're X and Gnome tasks under "junk"

> Also, I'm a bit unfamiliar with all the packages ... there might be more
> missing than just X related stuff. I know the Debian installer installs a
> lot of stuff without mentioning specific package names (it might in the
> advanced mode which I haven't used) ... is there a way to get a list of
> packages the installer installs by default?  And also the packages that
> correlate with the general names it uses?

if you run apt-get with the -u option, it should give you a list of
packages that it's about to upgrade and prompts you whether or not to
proceed. I don't know how to do this automatically, I usually just add
the -u by hand... I suppose you could set up an alias in your shell
profile. Read the man pages for dpkg, apt-get and apt-cache for more
useful ways to see package info (you might also want to visit
http://packages.debian.org).

HTH