package size stats

Often, I wish I could extract certain information
out of the package database, such as the size,
age, and distribution the package came from. This
would make it a lot easier when deciding what packages
can be removed to make room for others (i.e. very old,
too large, etc).  Also which ones I ought to upgrade
and so on.  Right now I have packages from three
separate Debian distributions, and probably a lot
of stuff that's just taking up disk space.

It'd also be neat to be able to tell if a package is
depended on by another, though that sounds much harder
to do.

It's clear that the data is in there, since apt-get
can compute the consumed disk space of a potential
installation before doing it.

Does anyone know how to do this?  Please CC.

Thanks,
Terry Hancock

Terry Hancock
hancock@anansispaceworks.com