Re: Where is Netscape? Problem with Sawmill

Gong Zeeng <gong_zeng@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi,
> 	I had just installed Debian 2.2r4 and have the following queries:
> 1. Netscape
> I installed netscape-base through dselect but I can't run Navigator.
> It seems that only some config files were installed but not the
> executable itself.  I did a search in dselect and the only package
> that comes close to Netscape is the netscape-base.  Doesn't Debian (I
> got the 3-disk download version) come with any Netscape package?

Maybe not, because netscape is non-free.  I don't think the 6-cd
Potato set I got had netscape.

Besides, you don't wanna use netscape anyway.  It sucks.  :)

> 2. Sawmill
> The sawmill window manager doesn't seem to work.  But I have no
> problem with the other window manager like Enlightenment and Wmaker.
> What gives?  Basically, when I switch from Enlightenment (or any
> window manager for that matter) to sawmill, I still remain in
> Enlightenment.  And if sawmill is installed as the only window
> manager, X shows the infamous wire mesh.
>
> 3. GPM freezes the mouse pointer in X
> When I installed GPM, the mouse pointer just freezes in X.  It's okay
> when I uninstall GPM.  I am using a PS/2 mouse.

You need to make gpm repeat raw mouse input, and then read that from
/dev/gpmdata if your XF86Config.

> 4. KDE support
> Just wondering if Debian (future version) comes with KDE installation?
> I still prefer KDE over GNOME.

If, by installation, you mean KDE packages will come with the
distribution, then yes.  They're in Woody (testing).

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>
BigNachos@jabber.org