Re: port 25 disabled?

Joe M Mar said:
> You could be right.  May be they did this just a few days ago
> because I was  able to send and receive email using freeBSD right
> out of the box.  Indeed,  I was also able able and receive email
> with debian and suddenly the ability  to receive mail stopped.
> I guess this means that I cannot do nothing about it, right?

if this is the case direct incoming mail will probably be
impossible. but if you have a machine outside the @home network
you could probably port forward(you'd probably need rinetd)
port 25 on the machine outside @home to a high port on your
system say port 15000, that @home may not be filtering(maybe
they are filtering all inbound ports im not sure). from
my experience ipchains cannot port forward accross subnets
but rinetd can(maybe iptables can too..). then you'd have
to configure your MTA to listen on that high port, and probably
configure a transparent proxy to forward port 25 connections
to port 15000(for your local network). not something that
i have personally tried but it may work.. the downside
to rinetd with MTAs is it screws up the headers. things
show as comming from the host that is forwarding the
connections not the originating server. so if you do
blocking based on SMTP server rinetd will break this.
at least thats my experience with rinetd/sendmail, exim
may be smarter..

another person mentioned tcp_wrappers. you can test this
too, if you telnet to port 25 on your machine does it
say connection refused? does it say no route to host? does
it accept the connection then drop it? i run my MTAs
as standalone(not through inetd). typical responses -

connection refused - service not running, not bound to IP,
or firewalled at some point between client and server

no route to host - service blocked at router at some
point between client and server. or your connecting
to the wrong system, or system is down.

connect then drops - server may be running from inetd and
may be misconfigured, server may be running from inetd
and tcp_wrappers is not allowing your host to connect.

nate