Re: Networking a Linux and a Window workstation

On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 04:12:07PM +0000, Phillip Deackes wrote:
> I would now like to be able to print and possibly send files to my Linux
> box from the Windows machine. I have been doing some reading and have
> installed Samba, but have made little progress. I am not sure how to set
> up Samba - I have been through the /etc/samba/smb.conf and made an attempt
> to set up a password with smbpasswd. The trouble is, what exactly am I
> setting the password for? Is it the password I will need on the Windows
> machine to access my Linux box? Do I need shadow passwords (don't even
> know what they are!)?

Bill McCarty's book on Debian gives a fairly simple explanation
of Samba: http://antiweb.org/translation/debian/ch10_03.html

And this LJ article gives a reasonably simple explanation of
samba passwords: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=2717

HTH

Sam
--