df redux

All,

Some time ago I posted to the list about strange 'leaps' in the disk usage reported by 'df'. The problem was eventually traced to an outsized .xsession-errors file.

This happened to me again (as of last night, it seems - I wasn't really keeping track). The partition is roughly 15G, half of my HD. Usage went up to 100%, which I discovered when I tried to download my mail and failed. I looked for, found and deleted a giant-sized .xsession-errors file. Usage went down to 64% - better, but still far bigger than the 40% I'd sat at for weeks.

When I went to the list archives to research this, I saw a note advising a poster not to -delete- said .xsession-errors file, but -empty- it instead, since deleting would only delete the filehandle if the thing was open for writing.

I guess my question is - do I have gobs of filehandle-less stuff floating around on my system, now? And if so, how can I find it and get rid of it?

NB I've tried the 'cruft' program to i.d. whatever might be taking up the sudden 24% of this 15G partition. 'cruft' spits out a 500MB file when I run it with no options.

Thanks for any insight.

Glenn