serious package management problem

Consider this scenario:

Program P1V1 depends on P2V1; both are installed and work fine.  Now you
install P3V2: it depends on a newer version of P2: P2V2; this gets
automatically replaced.  But P2V2 no longer works with P1V1.  What is
supposed to happen in this case?

I think this is what happenend to my system.  I tried to install
whatever was the current g77 compiler.  It required libc6-2.2.4-5; I had a
lower version, which got replaced.  But this broke (ba)sh, version 2.05-8,
which depends on libc6-2.2.3-7 or higher.  This breaks everything,
including apt and dpkg, which spawn shells all the time.

Upgrading bash first will not help, because it will not work with the old
libc6; c.q. the new libc6 will be installed first anyway because the
new bash depends on it; but then the upgrade process crashes because the
old bash doesn't work with the new bash...

The real problem is of course that the new libc is not backward
compatible.

What can I do?

I would appreciate if someone e-mail me a libc6-2.2.3-7.so (naked i386
binary, NO .deb package - or tell me how to extract the binary from a
.deb) - hoping that just replacing the damn thing will save me.

--

	Tom "thriving on chaos" Peters
		NL-1062 KD nr 149	tel.    +31-204080204
 			Amsterdam	e-mail  tpeters@xs4all.nl