docs for booting linux from flash?

I'm considering building a couple of appliance-type devices running Linux and
utilizing a flash device instead of a hard drive or CD.

I've never delved into read/writing to flash before -- can anyone recommend
some reading to learn more about it?  Either hardware-specific (such as what
hardware will write to a flash device) or Linux-specific, such as getting
linux to boot from a flash device.

A howto would be perfect, but I didn't see any on linuxdoc.org.

Thanks!

--kurt