Re: tty1-6 screwed up

on Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 01:53:50PM +0200, Shaul Karl (shaulka@bezeqint.net) wrote:
> > I just finished playing xmame in full screen mode, and coming out of
> > full screen mode messed something up.  X died, and gdm was respawned.
> >
> > However, interestingly, the virtual consoles 1-6 are now screwed; if I
> > switch to them I see a mess of mostly green and black in graphics
> > mode.  Everything still works; I can log in and out there, but I can't
> > see anything useful.
> >
> > What's gone wrong here, and how can I reset them without rebooting?
> >

> I do not know what gone wrong.
>
> As for having a vt reset without rebooting, try issuing a reset command
> (reset) after logging in. Ignore the fact that you might not see this
> command while you keying it in.

A pipe (redirect) as root should also work.  If you can run a terminal
under X:

    $ reset > /dev/tty<number>

Or:

    for term in 1 2 4 5 6
    do
        reset > /dev/tty${term}
    done

Not sure that will restore your settings.  I suspect it's a borked video
card, I generally find a system restart is necessary in similar cases.

Peace.