[Markus Grunwald <markus.grunwald@gmx.de>] S: Sound editor

The main problem with sound software for linux is there is too much of
it.  Here are  some keywords:  ecasound,  ardour, snd.  See also  Dave
Phillips' famous  linux audio  page, and the  linux-audio-user mailing
list. Now that computer music professors have had to throw out their
old  NeXt cubes and  replace them  with PC's,  there is  a tremendous,
vast, huge, massive amount of sound-related code being written for the
linux/i386 platform.

Having  said  that,  I'm  not   sure  if  any  of  it  is  SoundForge,
exactly. Ardour  might be  it. This stuff  keeps getting  better every
day. I  use ecasound  myself, which is  a brilliant  command-line tool
written by a  CS undergrad / guitar player in Finland.  Think of it as
the  Perl  of  sound  editing.   (Or  maybe  that's  snd?  hmm..)  The
command-line-ness of it is a bit of  a pain in the ass for those of us
used  to  graphical  stuff,  but  there  are  GUI's  for  ecasound  as
well.  There are  actually several  different, competing  GUI's!  Some
people have too much time..

-chris