Re: Virus incident

* Brian Nelson (nelson@bignachos.com) wrote:
<SNIP>
> But setting up DHCP is covered in the installation manual.  Is it
> really worthwhile helping people that are too lazy to read and
> understand material that's readily available?

Including the kernel mods req'd to get dhcp-client to work with a
tweaked kernel?  Some of us needed features not in the stock kernel
and I don't remember much in the way of installation notes on doing
this.  CONFIG_PACKET and CONFIG_FILTER don't exactly leap out at you
if you're new to the game.

My point was that there are lots of things that are _not_ covered by
the manuals, or things that can be easily found by google.  It is
just not possible to cover all the weird possibilities that can occur
in user-land.  This is why lists like this are a godsend for all of
us, regardless of our "newbie" or "expert" standing.  There's always
more to learn, and someone who's had similar experiences.

PS Shouldn't your reply have gone to the list, instead of directly to
me?

Cheers,
Mike Pfleger
pfleger@pfleger-precision.com