RE: an automated web browser

> hi,
> i use this internet service that *requires* you to log in once a day,
> or they close your account after three days of inactivity. it's
> absolutely bloody ridiculous, but i have to live with it, for i do
> need the service (and there is no other like that one) about once a
> month. since i can't possibly access the web everyday (if i am
> traveling for instance), i would like to set up a cron script that
> basically surfs the site for me (including login). however, there are
> at least 10 Redirects happening before the login is counted, and
> that's just too much for my nerves as a shell scripter.
>
> so i am wondering, there *has* to be a tool like lynx or the like,
> which will accept commands over stdin or the command line of the form:
>
> - enter "madduck" into field "username"
> - enter "abc123" into field "password"
> - click onto "login" submit button
> (after all the redirects have settled, i need to take one other
>   step).
> - click onto the third link on the page  (or the link labeled
>   "something").
>
> do you know of something like that?

Well, I know something that has a side-effect that does what you want...

It's the Grinder,a stresser written in java (must do an ITP on it); it's
made by ppl at
BEA to test WebLogic's performance. It's GPL. (http://grinder.sf.net)

I do not have much experience with it, but basically it can atach to Apache
or something and record all the
steps that you do; you then can add or modify  things (it puts everything in
a script) and run it again.

Dunno if it helps.... but it's worth a shot.

Cheers,

fsm

--
Frederico S. Muñoz
Cap Gemini Ernst & Young : fmunoz@capgemini.pt

**
Ever noticed something? Unix comes with compilers. Windows comes with
Solitaire.
**
  -Adep