Re: Virus incident

On Wednesday 21 November 2001 20:11, Josh Everist wrote:
> Well I can take responsibility for the messages from
> 'antigen@page1book.com', however if the Debian User mailing
> list didn't send out viruses in the first place, there
> wouldn't be the automated reply.

I think you mean outlook express 5; not the Debian user mailing
list.  The mailing list is simply doing what it's supposed to.
Oh, I see what you're getting at, so is outlook express.

Geesh why didn't I think of that way in the first place.

> The same goes for the YODA messages.
>
> In all honesty I've merely kept up with my software and virus
> updates and don't actually know why my software automatically
> responded.

Thank you for protecting us.

> However, if there were no response, it wouldn't be nearly as
> obvious that the email from m.dobsicek@sh.cvut.cz was viral.
>
> So, if there's any way the mailing list can filter out the
> viruses in the first place, you won't see the automated
> messages. At any rate I hope people go after the real
> culprit(the sender of the virus) and don't take it out on us.
>
> Josh Everist

So what you're saying is it's not your responsibility what you
post to the list.  That makes sense.

I guess you could just think of it the same as someone
forgetting to remove mailing lists from their vacation/holiday
auto-responder.

Geesh, why didn't I think of that way in the first place.

Well, you impressed me with the first half of the first
sentence, after that you blew it.

Jesse